Interested in Becoming a Leader?
We are so excited to hear that you are interested in becoming an LLL USA Leader! Leaders across the country help families every day to reach their breastfeeding goals.
Leaders have met the Prerequisites to Applying for Leadership (listed below), and value and role-model the organization’s philosophy in their own lives. LLL USA is committed to serving everyone and seeks the equitable accreditation of a diverse body of Leaders.
During the accreditation journey, you’ll learn the skills you need through reading, reflecting on personal experiences, discussing La Leche League philosophy, observing meetings, attending workshops, and talking with other Leaders. You’ll research common breastfeeding topics, learn effective communication skills, and practice addressing questions and handling challenging situations.
It is helpful to touch base with your nearest LLL USA Leader. Attending meetings and getting to know the Leaders near you can be helpful in understanding what LLL USA is all about and what leadership looks like. Find your closest LLL USA Group with our Find Help! Locator Tool or complete this form and we will connect you with the LLL Leader(s) in your Area
The personal experience of the breastfeeding and parenting relationship, combined with what a potential Applicant has learned from others and from LLL resources, provides a strong basis from which to help others.
A potential Applicant:
- has breastfed a child for 12 months or more,
- did not introduce complementary foods or supplements until the baby demonstrated a nutritional need for other foods, around the middle of the first year for the healthy full-term baby, and
- has chosen breastfeeding as the optimal way to nourish, nurture, and comfort the baby.
Special consideration will be given to someone whose personal breastfeeding experience is outside the realm of the normal/physiological course of breastfeeding described above.
In addition, a potential Applicant:
- supports LLL purpose, mission, and philosophy,
- has attended at least one series of meetings in person or via the Internet,
- demonstrates a clear understanding that leadership is volunteer work,
- is willing to create time to fulfill the basic responsibilities of leadership and/or provide other service to LLL,
- is willing to complete the application work,
- has a recommendation from an LLL Leader, and
- is a member of LLL or contributes as appropriate for the entity in which the application is being submitted.
Lastly, a potential Applicant:
- has communication skills in the potential Applicant’s preferred language necessary to begin the application and preparation for accreditation,
- demonstrates an accepting and respectful attitude toward others,
- provides information and support without judgment, and
- is willing to develop further communication skills as needed to fulfill the responsibilities of leadership.
To find out more about becoming an LLL USA Leader, complete this form and we will connect you with the LLL Leader(s) in your Area
If you are interested in leadership outside of the US, find more info from La Leche League International.