Who is it that makes La Leche League so special and effective as a source of breastfeeding and mothering support? You. That’s who! For 60 years, mothers like you have provided a place for mothers to turn to with their breastfeeding questions, worries, and moments of celebration. When you attend an LLL Group meeting, you not only receive information about breastfeeding from LLL resources, but you also hear from mothers who have experienced what you have or are currently going through the same or a similar situation.
While a blog can’t replace the face-to-face experience of a monthly meeting, it can encourage and support mothers all over the world. Sharing your stories is one way to do this. Whether it’s about overcoming a difficult birth, breastfeeding challenges, or enjoying a beautiful breastfeeding experience, your words can make all the difference to a mother in need of inspiration and support. Perhaps you’d like to share your ideas for loving guidance in the toddler and preschool years. Or maybe you have a dilemma and would like feedback? Do you have a favorite healthy recipe or a fun family activity? We want to hear from you!
Below are ten statements that reflect LLL philosophy. Do any of these reflect your experiences? Use these as inspiration when you sit down to write.
Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
We’re eager to hear from you and share your stories on the blog! Please send your submissions to [email protected].